Club Sports vs Varsity Sports
There are definitely differences between PSHS varsity sports and “club” sports; however, the most distinct differences are funding issues. Club sports do not receive any funding from the Poland Local Schools Board of Education and/or the PSHS athletic department. Approved/adopted Poland Seminary varsity sports receive full or partial funding from the Board of Education and/or athletic department. The Board of Education typically pays if not all or most of the coaching salaries and transportation. All other expenses such as: uniforms, equipment, event workers, security, entry fees, and official’s costs, are paid for through athletic department revenue. Athletic department revenue is generated from event gate receipts, season pass sales, fundraising, Booster club donations, and individual donations.
All Poland Seminary High School varsity sports have been adopted and are currently recognized by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. This means that there are rules and regulations for each of these sports that must be followed by all OHSAA member schools. The OHSAA also sponsors state tournaments for all adopted and recognized sports. All PSHS varsity sports have also been adopted and are currently recognized. Therefore, Poland Seminary High School has three current club sports, wrestling, lacrosse and swimming, and they are all recognized by the OHSAA.
The Poland Local Schools Board of Education and high school athletic department offer a wide range of athletic programs. However, many students are interested in other types of sports. While the Board and athletic department recognize that these activities are beneficial to their participants, they are simply not able to support them all. If you have further questions concerning club or varsity sports, please call Brian Banfield, High School Athletic Director, at 330-757-7021.
Club Sport Guidelines for Student Athletes and Volunteer Coaches
- Follow the Board Policy #10350 Eligibility Requirements for Pupils in Grades 7-12 in the Poland Schools.
- Follow the Board Policy #10,400 Poland Schools Athletic Department Participation Form and Athletic Parent- Student Handbook.
- Follow the Board Policy #10,550 Athletic Awards requirements.
- Follow the Board Policy #10,700 Use of Volunteer Coaches in the Poland Schools
- Arrange practice schedule and game schedule for all club events.
- Complete all tournament forms for participation and eligibility.